Legendary Tokusatsu director Eiji Tsuburaya, the co-creator of Godzilla as well as the creator of Ultraman, has been honored in today’s “Google Doodle.” The interactive doodle, which has you create a short action film in ten steps, can be seen here.
I have to give big props to the creator of the doodle, Jennifer Hom, for bringing attention to Tsubaraya. As she said: “Having grown up as a film fan, I’ve always had a deep love for Tokusatsu, so I was eager to find a way to bring attention to Tsuburaya’s art. It’s fascinating to me how long-lasting the results of his work has been – it’s easy to see remnants of the Tokusatsu style in Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim, Evangelion, and even the Power Rangers.”
Our writer Guyinthe3rdrow is a also a big fan of Tokusatsu, and even met Haruo Nakajima, one of the original suit actors of Godzilla, at this year’s Anime Boston.
Latest posts by Nick (see all)
- May the 4th Be With You: Top 10 Star Wars Moments - May 4, 2016
- Anime Boston 2016: Interview with Carrie Keranen - April 13, 2016
- Hey, We’re Five Years Old! - March 18, 2016
- Sports Stars Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins Invest in NRG eSports - March 17, 2016
- “Gurren Lagann” Teams Up With “Freezing” Mobile Game - March 17, 2016