“Kamehameha” is a series of post where we examine various action scenes from movies, anime, and cartoons, to name a few. It’s name comes from one of the most famous special moves in Dragon Ball Z. We chose a DBZ reference because it’s the definition of an action show…minus the drawn out stare down filler.
- The reason why I believe this scene is so effective is because it immediately grabs the audience’s attention. Right off the bat, we see this fast-paced and well choreographed fight. Talk about starting things with a bang.
- As I mentioned above, the choreography is simply stunning. Nightcrawler is a very competent fighter who uses his teleportation powers to create a truly unique fighting style.
- Speaking of his teleporting, when I first heard Nightcrawler was going to be in X2, I wondered how they would depict it on screen. I like the black shadowy cloud he leaves behind; it really adds to his “mystique” (intentional reference XD).
- The slow motion effect near the end was well incorporated; we got to see exactly what was going on a midst the chaos. However, I’ve always wondered why that one guard just opens fire in a small room. I’m sure he was freaked the fuck out, but seriously, he could have killed a friendly or even the President himself if he started spraying like in Call of Duty. If it was in real time, it probably would have looked worse than it did in slow motion (i.e. moar reckless).
- And going back to that point about the small room, if the President’s secretary was able to get out when they told her to leave, why couldn’t they get the President out too? You don’t just coop yourself up in a very small and vulnerable room. The Secret Service are meat shields, so if there was an attack in the hallways, they would just throw themselves in front of the Pres. Logic fail.
- Nonetheless, when you turn off your brain, this scene rocks.